Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden lives up to its reputation as the most beautiful garden in Africa and one of the great botanic gardens of the world. Few gardens can match the sheer grandeur of the setting of Kirstenbosch, against the eastern slopes of Cape Town’s Table Mountain.
Here are our Top Things to See and Do at Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden
- Walk among the treetops on the Boomslang Tree Canopy Walkway and enjoy the most gorgeous views of the city.
- Take a gentle walk along the various trails, paths, and routes through the garden.
- Pack a picnic basket and spend the afternoon with family and friends.
- Use Kirstenbosch as a starting point for a hike up Table Mountain – there is access to Skeleton Gorge and Nursery Ravine.
- Keep on the lookout for the vast number of birds, including breeding owls, guinea fowl, and sugarbirds.
- Take in a famous Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concert on a Sunday afternoon. These concerts run from November – April every year.
- Enjoy a meal at one of various restaurants and cafés, including the new Moyo Restaurant Kirstenbosch and the Kirstenbosch Tea Room.
- Take a FREE Guided Tour with a Kirstenbosch volunteer to learn amazing facts about South Africa’s famous flora.
- Pick up great souvenirs and Kirstenbosch memorabilia at the on-site stores.
The Water-wise Garden at #Kirstenbosch, demonstrates how to create a garden that is lush and colourful throughout the year, but which requires less water than the average garden. Important water-wise principles are explained, such as soil preparation, mulching, making windbreaks, creating shade, lawn care and grouping of plants according to their water needs. #Waterwise #CTBig7 #SaveWater #CapeTown #Travel #Conservation #ResponsibleTourism Image by Alan Rudnicki
Incredible photo of yesterdays performance by @francoisvancoke en die Gevaar live at Kirstenbosch! Where you are the Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concert? #CTBig7 #KBRocks #CapeTown #Concerts #Summer Great performance like always! #francoisvancoke #diegevaar #kirstenbosch #live #band #afrikaans #capetown #southafrica #picoftheday #photooftheday #tag #vetstagram #vetman 📷: @dievetman
Wander in the @KirstenboschNBG and visit the #SculptureGarden that features #African #Sandstone sculptures in a #shona style. 🌸 #plectranthus #art #nature #CTBig7 #kirstenbosch 🍃 #wanderlust #ilovecapetown #FamilyFun Go to www.capetownbig7.co.za.🇧🇱🇴🇬 to read more about the Kirstenbosch Winter Wonders Holiday Programme
There are few places in the Mother City as tranquil as Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, and at least once during your visit, when you stop to catch your breath and absorb the splendour of your surroundings, you’ll wonder how it’s possible that the bustling, buzzing city of Cape Town is just a stone’s throw away.
Share your favourite things to do at Kirstenbosch with us!
One Destination, 7 Unbelievable Experiences
There is no one way to explore all of the Cape Town Big 7, and much of what makes each of them so special is the variety of things to see and do at each. So if possible, take your time to explore each of the city’s most visited tourist attractions in as much depth as possible – as any local will tell you, you can spend a lifetime at each of the Big 7 and still not tire of them. Find the 3 and 4 day itineraries and tips here.